OBD is the acronym for Onboard Diagnostics, the standardized system in vehicle computers that allows cars and trucks to run diagnostics. It was developed and adapted to strict specifications by the Society of Automotive Engineers. OBD2 is the standard in all vehicles manufactured in 1996 or later. It differs from the older ODB1 in that the 1996 standard implements protocols, error codes, and connectors supported by all vehicle manufacturers. This means that a single OBD2 scanner can retrieve diagnostic codes from any vehicle made in 1996 and beyond.
Our picked OBD2 Scanner for the vehicle
- Bluedriver Bluetooth: (Check Price >> | Read Review)
- Innova 3160g: (Check Price >> | Read Review)
- Autel AL519 AutoLink Scanner (Check Price >> | Read Review)
How OBD2 Works
Because they follow a specific set of standards, OBD2 scan tools are easy to use. They fit the same connector, which is present in all vehicles, as defined by SAE standard J1962. Often these connections are located under the dashboard near the driver’s seat, depending on the vehicle make.
Professional-level scan tools have much greater capabilities and require some training. Diagnostic technicians can do much more, such as perform specific bi-direction tests on running vehicles or connect to OEM-specific devices and controls to get feedback that won’t normally generate error codes.
If your Check Engine light is on, or your vehicle has been running rough, an OBD2 scanner can help you identify the problem. While you’ll have to spend thousands to get the diagnostic capabilities of a good auto shop, there are a number of OBD2 readers that are very affordable.
Best OBD2 scanner (Review & Buying Guild) in 2020
Best professional automotive diagnostic scanner: If you can spend a large budget for the procurement of professional scanning tool performance, these tools are suitable. Usually, these tools are often used for automotive repair shops or professional mechanic. There are have prices fluctuate relatively high for the individual user but the effectiveness of these tools are great. Price $1000 – $4000
Best OBD2 Scanner: They have the basic requirements as well as additional display features or Bluetooth and USB connectivity. The relative scanning speed but often used to check basic features such. Suitable for individuals using amateur and skills as well as basic knowledge about repairing and maintaining a somewhat cars that
Best OBD2 Scanner for the money: If you have only a small budget under $50 then this would be the most appropriate tool. With reasonable prices along these basic functions needed by a scan tool. The cheap OBD2 scanner is often the OBD2 code reader and display error code and then find a way to fix.
Our recommendations for the best OBD2 scanner should buy
It is the Best professional automotive diagnostic scanner for the automotive repair shop I have ever met. It is a smart diagnostic tool with powerful functions.
Another highlight is it having a free TS601, TS601 is a good TPMS tool. A good product deserves to recommend to you guys!
Autel Maxisys Pro ms908p scanner is a revolutionary smart solution for Specialized Automotive Diagnosing and ECU programming. It provides a fantastic diagnosis performance and offers amazing features with an ease of use.
It covers all possible OE-Level diagnostics making it the best diagnostic solution for all peerless smart technology vehicle repairs.
The Maxisys Pro runs on Android Operating System. It enables the user to perform multitasking and managing multiple applications at the same time.
Who is Autel Maxisys Pro ms908p scanner Built For
As it’s clear from the name, it’s a PRO Version of the tool. It was not designed for the individual but to assist the professional automotive repair shops and mechanics. It’s price on the market about $2500
The performance of this device equals to that of a small team. I give it 100 out of 100. So the professional automotive repair shops and mechanics should add it to your toolkit.
Autel Maxidas DS808 can be a wonderful additional tool for your garage tools because you can use the car diagnostic equipment this advanced to access diagnostic Trouble codes and diagnosis of your OBD2 compliant vehicles.
Autel Maxidas DS808 is the upgraded version of Autel Maxidas DS708 about configuration. Other than the DS 708, DS 808 using chip-Cortex-A9 processor (1.5 GHz) running the Android operating system version 4.4.4 with a 7-inch screen resolution 1024 × 60, wifi connection ports 802.11 b/g/n, beside Autel Maxidas DS808 has weight is 788g (2.42 lb)
In addition to checking the error interrupt your car, Autel Maxidas DS 808 can also be used to monitor the smooth operation of the engine, chassis, electrical systems and processes maintenance check of the vehicle.
You can easily get information on DTCs also is the reason behind the activation of the MLS and delete them, if necessary, is a breeze.
Autel Maxidas DS808 is one of the best OBD2 scanner diagnostic tools on the market. It’s quite popular due to the compact design and modern technology. This scan is useful for both mechanical specialists as well as for the DIY car owners who want to take care of their vehicles. You can use this scanner to assess what is wrong with your car when confronted with certain problems, even when it is moving because it is portable.
This scanner is quite easy to use-just plug it into the port information is provided in your car and your scanner will access and decrypt the information that is provided by on-board diagnostic system. After evaluating the code, you can decide whether you want to take the car to a service station in his spare time, or drag it right if serious engine problem hinders it because the drive can cause serious engine damage.
Some of the features related with Autel Maxidas DS 808 are:
- Expertly created by the recognized business experts.
- A best in a class analytic framework that gives exact, steady, extensive, less demanding and speedier determination of the vehicle.
- Likewise, covers expansive vehicle scope for every single electric arrangement of the cars.
- Programmed Wi-Fi refreshes are accessible for this model.
- Accompanies imaginative double processor innovation for speedier diagnostics and fast boot up.
- Remote access because of Wi-Fi web capacity.
- Progressed USB correspondence framework for quick and precise diagnostics.
- Easy to utilize: touch screen and natural operation.
- Remarkable, intense ergonomic plan that includes multi-layered elastic assurance and reliable lodging to guard this gadget against unplanned harm
Based on the Android operating system, the X431 Pro III is the latest diagnostic tool from Launch.
With remote diagnostic features and a built-in social network, this tool encompasses the best in Launch technology and tablet computer usability.
Encorporating the best in already existing Launch diagnostic tools, the Pro 3 can read and clear DTCs, read a car’s data stream, perform actuation tests and more.
The Launch X431 Pro III has been designed to connect vehicles and workshops, with wireless and Bluetooth connectivity. A built-in social network service enables users to connect to a community for help with diagnosis, while
A built-in social network service enables users to connect to a community for help with diagnosis, while remote diagnosis is possible with golo option. Users also have access to a car database and repair tips, allowing for faster and more efficient performance.
Why should buy this scan tool?
The X-431 PRO3 series is based on the Android operating system and connected via Bluetooth to the car. Besides higher diagnostic depth as usual it has comprehensive functionality additions: In combination with the X-431 Golo PRO / PRO 3 perform remote diagnostics and can be converted into a incl CRM- convenient system. Social services – customer management on the next level!
Benefits when buying Launch X431 Pro 3
Fast and efficient data coding– with All the hallmarks of a fast device, the mechanic and the driver are at peace in getting fast data coding and repairs. This reduces the repair time and the amount of money likely spent on the other repair processes.
Multilingual– the OBD scanner has the interface covering several universal languages. The mechanic needs no effort in trying to get translations in as far as the code meanings and repair formulas are concerned.
Wide compatibility– Covering several European and Asian cars, the device has what it takes to be used globally. The addition of the Indian car models makes its use even more widespread.
Why should buy Innova 3160g:
The Innova 3160g include the features of Innova 3160e.
However it has everything you want: 3.5″ Color Screen, live data, read ABS/SRS codes and display other engine conditions that many tools don’t show.
Bluetooth app connect, Reset Battery Maintenance Lights and Initialize vehicle batteries.
Customers have generally had a lot of positive things to say about its ability to read and erase the ABS/SRS codes.
The really cool thing about this device is it can graph, display and record the data in real time. If you’re someone who likes to know exactly what is going on in the device and your vehicle, then this is the perfect tool for you to use. And if you have an older OBD1 vehicle, you have the option for an upgrade to use it on those as well!
Key Features Innova 3160g:
- 3.5″ Color Screen
- Stream, record, and graph real-time Live Data for a more precise diagnosis.
- Bluetooth App Compatibility
- Connect OBD 1 port by Accessories Ford OBD1 Adapter, Toyota OBD1 Adapter, OBD1 Extension Cable,…
- Reset Battery Maintenance Lights and Initialize vehicle batteries.
Basic Features Innova 3160g
- It has an anti-lock brake system (ABS) which is meant to speed up the manner in which the braking system works. The hydraulic system improves it even further. This is further made to work with a combination of several sensors which enable the OBD2 coding easier.
- A safety/ supplement restraint system (SRS) which is in most common within the air bag. The system if fitted activates itself and is able to warn the vehicle occupants if there is a fault. This is usually in the form of a light sensor. When it blinks, the engine system is faulty and needs some action.
- Has a unique coding feature which makes it compatible with several models of vehicles ranging from the newer versions of the OBD2 scan to the older models.
- A live data relay system made possible by the enabled improvements through the society for automotive engineers (SAE). This helps the technician to be able to get the data quickly and in the process be able to act on the areas where there is fault.
- It has a relative light weight of 2.5 pounds, making it just a perfect driver companion.
- A USB data transfer mechanism which is possible through connection to any personal computer. This can also enable the technician print the OBD2 scanned data for further action.
- Innova 3160g Bluetooth App Compatibility
- It has a clear and concise accessory list all in a soft pouch; these include the ever important USB cable the OBD2 cable for connecting to the vehicle engine and a reference guide.
- It has a high compatibility ratio with several new OBD2 vehicle models and other known OBD1 models. The ability to decipher both manufacture specific and generic codes makes it rather fit within this category. However, certain emission restrictions are noted to exist with its use.
By choosing INNOVA 3100, you get a versatile scan tool and code reader with battery backup and ABS technology that works excellently with several types of vehicles. It is compact, portable, and therefore travel-worthy. Its automated system quickly diagnoses engine light warnings in both domestic and foreign vehicles, while its patented all-in-one design supports monitoring of emissions readiness, drive cycle verification, and erasure of ABS trouble codes of most Toyota, Chrysler, Ford, and GM motor vehicles. You also get a large backup memory that stores data and an auto refresh feature (every 30 seconds) that enables you to monitor car repair progress in real time.
Why should buy this scan tool?
This tool provides the guaranteed technical tips to handle the scan tool in efficient manner. Even the ASE team will give hand to make use such new brand tools and the traditional practice, which support to make use in very simple manner. It is high cost effective software to install over the car.
They provide quick deliver service, which geared behind the engine problem so it will be consider as one of the first quality solution. Then they provide the 24 hours customer support by ASE technical team. It is highly durable to make use for a long time over the cars. It works with independent batter back up so it will be more comfortable for the customer to make use with no risk.
Therefore, you can make use of scan tool over vehicle and simply monitor the whole action to avoid the major problem.
Several benefits are there, however the following are notable;
Why should buy OBD2 Bluetooth Scan Tool?
OBD2 Bluetooth Scan Tool is an auto diagnosis tool which has been included in this list due to its various useful features like preparation of repair report, reads and clears error codes, emission check of your vehicle to make it ready for smog test. Moreover it sends all the information to your Bluetooth enabled device for you to view.
It clears error codes very efficiently. For instance, if there is an error in your engine light then it will diagnose the causes of the problem and provide you all the possible solutions for it. It is the best feature for the people who maintain their cars themselves. They can easily fix the problem at priority with the help of this tool, if it persists frequently. It can also read important information about your vehicle including engine data, assembly location, fuel consumption, temperature of engine coolant and smog check and emission test. It will provide you report of the tests along with possible solutions for the problems detected.
Though it is an affordable tool available at $99.95 but while using it you will have to face certain issues like Bluetooth connectivity and proper working of its app as sometimes they may disappoint you. Moreover it is not compatible with Windows phones, which is very discouraging for a large number of people. Along with it this tool is not suitable for all the OBDII vehicles, as claimed by the manufacturer. Some of its features do not work with certain vehicles like live data feature do not work with BMWs, Volvos, Hyundais and VW Golf along with Ford Excursion with 7.3 litre Diesel engine.
- Read and Clear Enhanced Codes: ABS, Airbag, Transmission, and so forth for GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota (accessible around the world) and BMW/Mini (available in North America),
- Repair Reports: Code Definition, Possible Causes, Reported Fixes (Vehicle-particular for each DTC),
- Stop Frame: Vehicle depiction when a code is put away,
- Exhaust cloud Check: See if the vehicle is prepared for a brown haze test,
- Mode 6: Advanced test outcomes (like failure to discharge tallies),
- Live Data: Graph various PIDs or fare log to a record
Actron brand have a large series of diagnostic tools available from budget to mid range with the following tools is CP9690. The unique selling point of this scanner is that it includes the vehicle OBD 1 with a variety of connectors and cables in the package.
Actron CP9690 benefit from having the LCD screen has a medium size on, very appropriate to see the graphics from the report. The outstanding features of this fault code reader include:
- Transmission system coverage and ABS
- Vehicle identification
- Battery system monitoring
- Put back the battery and lamp oil
- The rest of the ABS and Airbag
- Supports 1/CAN
- Direct data transfer
Actron very similar to Innova 3160g and Autel MD808 in the compact design to which they are all competing with each other. However, Actron may lack a bit of features but the ability to diagnose cars OBD 1 causing it to become more attractive for holders of both the classic and modern cars.
The all new MaxiDiag MD808 is worked to take your diagnostic experience to a whole new level. Stacked with oil service reset, battery enlistment and reset, parking brake cushion relearn after substitution, steering edge sensor relearn and diesel particulate filter regeneration capacities, MD808 can access Engine, Transmission, ABS, and Airbag (SRS) frameworks for the best finding operations. With all that encased in a 4-inch handheld gadget, there is no better multifunctional filter device available.
- Bolster Read/Clear Codes and Live Data capacities for Engine, Transmission, ABS, and Airbag (SRS) frameworks
- Scan and remove inconvenience codes, control and test BMS/Oil Reset/SRS/EPB/DPF frameworks
- Bolster oil benefit reset
- Support battery enrollment and reset
- Diesel particulate administration including constrained recovery
- Reset directing point sensor (SAS) usefulness
- Relearn stopping brake cushion after substitution
- Reset benefit mileage and management interims
- Kill ECU brake cautioning light
- Perform O2 screen, onboard display, I/M status and segment testing
- Print indicative reports using PC connection
- Worldwide OBD II scope for U.S. local, Asian and European makes and models
- All OBD II conventions, every one of the 10 test modes and upgraded OBD II mode 6 bolster
- Doesn’t work consummately well on all vehicles
- Not exceptionally instinctive
- Doesn’t support Macintosh PC just windows
Why should buy BAFX OBD2 scan tool?
BAFX Products OBD2 Bluetooth scanner, this car scanning tool is in the list of top best car diagnostic tools because of its extremely affordable price of $21.99 on Amazon.
People using various car diagnostic programs prefer to use it because of its compatibility to almost all the third arty OBDII apps available at PlayStore. It can scan various issues in your vehicle including reading sensor codes, engine light codes, rest engine light and prepare your vehicle for emission test. It also works well with various third-party applications like torque. The statistics provided by it like readings of horsepower, RPM, braking info, acceleration along with the graph of the speed of the vehicle keep the car geeks occupied for several hours. The CD provided by its manufacturer allows you to install its reader on your PC.
- Though it is a good device still it has certain issues.
- It is not compatible with Apple devices as well as the vehicles with J1850-PWM protocol.
- It is also not much reliable as it can stop working anytime.
- Another drawback of this tool is that it only reads the stats even only from OBDII system.
- It does not suggest possible solutions for your problems.
- So if your car has other types of sensors then you will have to use some other scanning tool to resolve their problems.
- This tool is good only for analysing basic problems of your car containing OBDII system due to its affordable price.
When you are looking for a versatile, affordable scan tool that has plenty of options and features, you may want to consider the Autel AL519. This tool brings plenty of features and technology to your garage, and has a system that allows for easy navigation and access.
While the Autel AL519 has many features and modes, there are a couple of things missing from the tool that may make you hesitate.
It is the most well known and easy to use check device for rapidly diagnosing any motor inconvenience code. It bolsters each of the ten methods of OBDII test for a total analysis and gives live OCM data stream, code tips/repairs and diagram information.
The screen on this sweep apparatus has a determination of 320×240. However, it is clear and straightforward to peruse with energetic hues. This is vital because the readouts show just on the screen, as opposed to likewise sustaining to a joined tablet.
This sweep device is easy, lightweight and moderate, and will work with any ODB II right vehicle. If you work in a carport or you are a lover who needs to have the capacity to take a shot at your auto, then this device is an unquestionable requirement have.
What to consider when buying an OBD2 scanner?
- Does it have adequate definition of code?
- Compatible with my car or not?
- I can upgrade it?
- Whether it can store your data read?
- Scanners have what features?
- Is it within my budget?
- I need a code reader or scanner diagnosis?
- These devices come with the device?
- Other customers say about this code reader?
Types of OBD2 scanners
These are cheaper, simpler devices that are plugged into a vehicle solely for reading and clearing error codes. They don’t provide any additional information, and may not reflect a wider set of codes in use by various manufacturers. An OBD2 scanner meant for GM vehicles, for instance, will read only the basic codes saved to memory and additional codes for GM cars and trucks only. Additional information is usually provided online or via a reference pamphlet that lists the available codes with brief explanations for each one.
Scan tools are more sophisticated and are available in several levels of complexity, from compact consumer versions to powerful diagnostic computers in use by commercial auto shops.
Professional or more advanced versions will include options like review of both live and recorded data, options for manufacturer-specific codes, customizable menus, parameters, tests, and code reads, and extensive technical information on troubleshooting each code. Basically, every vehicle sensor that transmits signals to the onboard computer produces codes that can be read with an OBD2 scanner.
They can also read “soft” codes, or codes that have been detected but not yet logged. Many scanners, for instance, must detect a code on three successive vehicle starts before it’s included in the diagnostics, in order to allow for anomalies like false emissions readings or random computer errors.