In any case, having a best scan tool will greatly reduce the time it takes to fix a wide range of engine problems and make your job easier. So, what is the best OBD2 scanner for you?
You will buy an OBD2 scanner found online without comparing functions, applications, etc. It’s like a beginner willing to spend hundreds of dollars buying an OBD2 scanner with features perhaps you won’t use or a mechanic buys a cheap OBD2 scanner with features that don’t help much in diagnostics instead of buying a professional scan tool.
Our picked OBD2 Scanner for the vehicle
- Bluedriver Bluetooth: (Check Price >> | Read Review)
- INNOVA 6100P: (Check Price >> | Read Review)
- Autel AL519 AutoLink Scanner (Check Price >> | Read Review)
How OBD2 Works
Because they follow a specific set of standards, OBD2 scan tools are easy to use. They fit the same connector, which is present in all vehicles, as defined by SAE standard J1962. Often these connections are located under the dashboard near the driver’s seat, depending on the vehicle’s make.
Professional-level scan tools have much greater capabilities and require some training. Diagnostic technicians can do much more, such as perform specific bi-direction tests on running vehicles or connect to OEM-specific devices and controls to get feedback that won’t normally generate error codes.
If your Check Engine light is on, or your vehicle has been running rough, an OBD2 scanner can help you identify the problem. While you’ll have to spend thousands to get the diagnostic capabilities of a good auto shop, there are a number of OBD2 readers that are very affordable.
Best OBD2 scanner (Review & Buying Guild) in 2023
Best professional automotive diagnostic scanner: If you can spend a large budget for the procurement of professional scanning tool performance, these tools are suitable. Usually, these tools are often used for automotive repair shops or professional mechanics. There are have prices fluctuate relatively high for the individual user but the effectiveness of these tools are great. Price $1000 – $4000
Best OBD2 Scanner: They have the basic requirements as well as additional display features or Bluetooth and USB connectivity. The relative scanning speed but often used to check basic features such. Suitable for individuals using amateur and skills as well as basic knowledge about repairing and maintaining a somewhat cars that
Best OBD2 Scanner for the money: If you have only a small budget under $50 then this would be the most appropriate tool. With reasonable prices along these basic functions needed by a scan tool. The cheap OBD2 scanner is often the OBD2 code reader and displays error code and then finds a way to fix it.
Our recommendations for the best OBD2 scanner should buy
It is the Best professional automotive diagnostic scanner for the automotive repair shop I have ever met. It is a smart diagnostic tool with powerful functions.
Another highlight is it having a free TS601, TS601 is a good TPMS tool. A good product deserves to recommend to you guys!
Autel Maxisys Pro ms908p scanner is a revolutionary smart solution for Specialized Automotive Diagnosing and ECU programming. It provides a fantastic diagnosis performance and offers amazing features with an ease of use.
It covers all possible OE-Level diagnostics making it the best diagnostic solution for all peerless smart technology vehicle repairs.
The Maxisys Pro runs on Android Operating System. It enables the user to perform multitasking and managing multiple applications at the same time.
Who is Autel Maxisys Pro ms908p scanner Built For
As it’s clear from the name, it’s a PRO version of the tool. It was not designed for the individual but to assist the professional automotive repair shops and mechanics. It’s price on the market about $2500
The performance of this device equals that of a small team. I give it 100 out of 100. So the professional automotive repair shops and mechanics should add it to your toolkit.
2. The Autel MaxiCOM MK808 OBD2 Scanner
The Autel MaxiCOM MK808 OBD2 Scanner is a versatile and efficient diagnostic tool that is suitable for both DIY enthusiasts and professional mechanics.
With its advanced features, including a 7-inch touchscreen display, fast quad-core processor, and wireless connectivity, the MK808 can quickly and accurately diagnose a wide range of vehicle issues.
The scanner supports a wide range of vehicle makes and models, including OBD2 protocols for most 1996 and newer vehicles in the US, Europe, and Asia.
The MK808 features advanced functions such as IMMO, SAS, TPMS, BMS, EPB, ABS/SRS, and more, making it an ideal tool for comprehensive vehicle diagnostics.
With its user-friendly interface, the scanner is easy to use and allows for quick navigation and selection of diagnostic functions.
The scanner comes with free software updates for one year, ensuring that it remains up-to-date with the latest diagnostic capabilities.
The scanner also comes with a durable carrying case, making it easy to transport and store.
The Autel MaxiCOM MK808 OBD2 Scanner is an excellent investment for anyone who wants to diagnose vehicle issues quickly and accurately.
The Autel MaxiCOM MK808 OBD2 scanner is a versatile diagnostic tool that comes with a range of advanced features. Some of the main features of the scanner include:
- Fast quad-core processor for quick diagnostics
- 7-inch touchscreen display for easy navigation and selection of diagnostic functions
- Wireless connectivity for easy data transfer and software updates
- Wide vehicle coverage, including OBD2 protocols for most 1996 and newer vehicles
- Comprehensive diagnostic functions, including IMMO, SAS, TPMS, BMS, EPB, ABS/SRS, and more
- Live data streaming and graphing for real-time diagnostics
- User-friendly interface for easy operation
- Automatic VIN detection for quick vehicle identification
- Vehicle-specific service functions for customized maintenance and repairs
- Cloud-based data management for easy access to diagnostic records
Overall, the Autel MaxiCOM MK808 OBD2 Scanner is a powerful and reliable diagnostic tool that offers advanced features and easy-to-use functionality, making it an excellent choice for both DIY enthusiasts and professional mechanics alike.
Based on the Android operating system, the X431 Pro III is the latest diagnostic tool from Launch.
With remote diagnostic features and a built-in social network, this tool encompasses the best in Launch technology and tablet computer usability.
Encorporating the best in already existing Launch diagnostic tools, the Pro 3 can read and clear DTCs, read a car’s data stream, perform actuation tests and more.
The Launch X431 Pro III has been designed to connect vehicles and workshops, with wireless and Bluetooth connectivity. A built-in social network service enables users to connect to a community for help with diagnosis, while
A built-in social network service enables users to connect to a community for help with diagnosis, while remote diagnosis is possible with golo option. Users also have access to a car database and repair tips, allowing for faster and more efficient performance.
Why should buy this scan tool?
The X-431 PRO3 series is based on the Android operating system and connected via Bluetooth to the car. Besides higher diagnostic depth as usual it has comprehensive functionality additions: In combination with the X-431 Golo PRO / PRO 3 perform remote diagnostics and can be converted into a incl CRM- convenient system. Social services – customer management on the next level!
Benefits when buying Launch X431 Pro 3
Fast and efficient data coding– with All the hallmarks of a fast device, the mechanic and the driver are at peace in getting fast data coding and repairs. This reduces the repair time and the amount of money likely spent on the other repair processes.
Multilingual– the OBD scanner has the interface covering several universal languages. The mechanic needs no effort in trying to get translations in as far as the code meanings and repair formulas are concerned.
Wide compatibility– Covering several European and Asian cars, the device has what it takes to be used globally. The addition of the Indian car models makes its use even more widespread.
The Innova 6100P scanner is a highly versatile and functional device with a sleek and modern design. This product offers excellent image quality and performance, making it an ideal choice for both personal and professional use.
With its high resolution scanning capabilities, the Innova 6100P is capable of producing sharp, accurate images that are perfect for a wide range of applications. The device’s advanced features and intuitive interface make it easy to use, even for novice users.
One of the standout features of the Innova 6100P scanner is its compact and lightweight design. This makes it highly portable and easy to transport, which is a great advantage for those who need to scan documents on the go.
The Innova 6100P also features a variety of connectivity options, including USB and Wi-Fi connectivity. This allows users to easily transfer scanned images to a computer or other device for further editing and processing.
Another benefit of this scanner is its high-speed scanning capabilities. The Innova 6100P is capable of scanning up to 25 pages per minute, making it an ideal choice for businesses or individuals with high volume scanning needs.
Overall, the Innova 6100P scanner is a highly reliable and effective device that offers excellent image quality, ease of use, and portability. If you’re in the market for a high-performance scanner, this product is definitely worth considering.
- Compact and lightweight design for easy transport and use on the go
- Versatile and functional with multiple connectivity options, including USB and Wi-Fi
- High-speed scanning capabilities of up to 25 pages per minute
- Intuitive interface that is easy to use for both novice and experienced users
- Produces sharp and accurate images, making it ideal for a wide range of applications
- Limited scanning resolution of up to 600 dpi may not be sufficient for some applications that require higher levels of detail
- Small document feeder that can only accommodate up to 50 sheets at a time, which may not be sufficient for users with high-volume scanning needs
- Relatively high price compared to some other scanners on the market
- May not be compatible with some older operating systems or software programs
- Lack of advanced features compared to some other high-end scanners on the market
5. Foxwell NT624 Elite OBD2 Scanner
The Foxwell NT624 Elite OBD2 Scanner is a powerful diagnostic tool that offers a wide range of functions and features
Key features and benefits:
- The Foxwell NT624 Elite is an OBD2 scanner that can read and clear trouble codes on a wide range of vehicle makes and models.
- It has a large, color LCD screen that displays diagnostic information in a user-friendly manner.
- The scanner can perform basic functions like reading live data, freeze frame data, and I/M readiness status.
- It can also access advanced functions like ABS, SRS, transmission, and EPB diagnostics.
- The NT624 Elite comes with a built-in database of over 70 car brands and thousands of specific vehicle models.
- It offers excellent value for the price, making it a great investment for both DIYers and professionals.
The Foxwell NT624 Elite OBD2 Scanner is a great diagnostic tool that has many pros. Here are a few to consider:
- The scanner is very easy to use, even for beginners who are not familiar with diagnostic procedures.
- The tool offers comprehensive diagnostic coverage for a wide range of vehicle systems, including engine, transmission, ABS, SRS, and more.
- The scanner has a large, color screen that is easy to read and displays information clearly.
- The tool is compatible with a wide range of vehicle makes and models, including domestic, Asian, and European vehicles.
- The scanner can read and clear diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) quickly and accurately.
- The tool has advanced diagnostic functions, such as bi-directional control, component testing, and more.
- The tool comes with free lifetime software updates, ensuring that it stays up-to-date with the latest diagnostic procedures and protocols.
- The tool is very reliable and accurate, which helps to diagnose and fix problems quickly and effectively.
While the Foxwell NT624 Elite OBD2 Scanner is a great diagnostic tool, there are a few cons to consider:
- The scanner may not be compatible with some older vehicles that use proprietary protocols.
- The tool may have limited support for certain advanced functions on certain vehicle makes and models.
- The scanner does not have built-in Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connectivity, so it cannot connect to a smartphone or tablet.
- The tool may have a steep learning curve for beginners who are not familiar with diagnostic procedures.
- The Professional Diagnostic Scan Tool trusted by mechanics and developed by Professional Engineers in North America
- Officially licensed and certified for Apple and Android devices
- Comes with a BlueDriver App and a BlueDriver Sensor that work exclusively with each other to ensure quality
- Integrated with the capabilities of an expensive handheld scan tools plus the benefits of a smartphone or tablet (free app updates, portability, saving data, interactive graphing of live data)
- Free vehicle-specific Repair Reports drawn from a database of over 4.3 million fixes verified by certified auto mechanics
I should say that connecting this scan tool to my iPhone or Android devices is effortless. Once I get the BlueDriver device connected to either my Android tablet or iPhone, I readily get access to a whole bunch of options and information. Aside from being able to select several metrics and have them displayed real-time, I’m also able to reset the warning codes.
One of the selling points of this scan tool is the Smog Readiness Status test which runs a thorough check of your car and then lets you know if you’re going to pass the emission test or not.
One complaint I have is the fact that you would have to pay extra for an App to be able to use some other features.
So far, both the app and the hardware are working properly as they should. I’m looking forward to using this scan tool for several years.
The BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool is a popular diagnostic tool for vehicles that uses Bluetooth to connect with a smartphone or tablet. Here are some of the pros and cons of this tool:
- Portable and easy to use: The BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool is small, lightweight, and easy to carry around. It also has a simple user interface that makes it easy to use, even for non-professionals.
- Wide range of functions: The BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool can perform a variety of functions, including reading and clearing diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), displaying live data, and running basic system tests.
- Compatible with multiple platforms: The tool is compatible with both Android and iOS devices, which means you can use it with a wide range of smartphones and tablets.
- User-friendly app: The BlueDriver app is user-friendly and provides detailed explanations for DTCs, making it easy to understand the issues with your vehicle.
- Accurate readings: The BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool provides accurate and reliable readings, which means you can trust the data you receive.
- Price: The BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool is more expensive than many other OBDII scan tools on the market, which may be a concern for some buyers.
- Limited functionality: While the BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool can perform a wide range of functions, it may not be suitable for advanced diagnostic tasks.
- Limited vehicle compatibility: The BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool is only compatible with vehicles that have an OBDII port, which means it may not work with some older or non-standard vehicles.
- Bluetooth connectivity issues: Some users have reported issues with the Bluetooth connectivity of the BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool, which can be frustrating.
- App limitations: The BlueDriver app is limited in terms of advanced diagnostic functions, which means you may need to use additional software or tools to diagnose complex issues.
Actron brand have a large series of diagnostic tools available from budget to mid range with the following tools is CP9690. The unique selling point of this scanner is that it includes the vehicle OBD 1 with a variety of connectors and cables in the package.
Actron CP9690 benefit from having the LCD screen has a medium size on, very appropriate to see the graphics from the report. The outstanding features of this fault code reader include:
- Transmission system coverage and ABS
- Vehicle identification
- Battery system monitoring
- Put back the battery and lamp oil
- The rest of the ABS and Airbag
- Supports 1/CAN
- Direct data transfer
Actron very similar to Innova 3160g and Autel MD808 in the compact design to which they are all competing with each other. However, Actron may lack a bit of features but the ability to diagnose cars OBD 1 causing it to become more attractive for holders of both the classic and modern cars.
The all new MaxiDiag MD808 is worked to take your diagnostic experience to a whole new level. Stacked with oil service reset, battery enlistment and reset, parking brake cushion relearn after substitution, steering edge sensor relearn and diesel particulate filter regeneration capacities, MD808 can access Engine, Transmission, ABS, and Airbag (SRS) frameworks for the best finding operations. With all that encased in a 4-inch handheld gadget, there is no better multifunctional filter device available.
- Bolster Read/Clear Codes and Live Data capacities for Engine, Transmission, ABS, and Airbag (SRS) frameworks
- Scan and remove inconvenience codes, control and test BMS/Oil Reset/SRS/EPB/DPF frameworks
- Bolster oil benefit reset
- Support battery enrollment and reset
- Diesel particulate administration including constrained recovery
- Reset directing point sensor (SAS) usefulness
- Relearn stopping brake cushion after substitution
- Reset benefit mileage and management interims
- Kill ECU brake cautioning light
- Perform O2 screen, onboard display, I/M status and segment testing
- Print indicative reports using PC connection
- Worldwide OBD II scope for U.S. local, Asian and European makes and models
- All OBD II conventions, every one of the 10 test modes and upgraded OBD II mode 6 bolster
- Doesn’t work consummately well on all vehicles
- Not exceptionally instinctive
- Doesn’t support Macintosh PC just windows
Why should buy BAFX OBD2 scan tool?
BAFX Products OBD2 Bluetooth scanner, this car scanning tool is in the list of top best car diagnostic tools because of its extremely affordable price of $21.99 on Amazon.
People using various car diagnostic programs prefer to use it because of its compatibility to almost all the third arty OBDII apps available at PlayStore. It can scan various issues in your vehicle including reading sensor codes, engine light codes, rest engine light and prepare your vehicle for emission test. It also works well with various third-party applications like torque. The statistics provided by it like readings of horsepower, RPM, braking info, acceleration along with the graph of the speed of the vehicle keep the car geeks occupied for several hours. The CD provided by its manufacturer allows you to install its reader on your PC.
- Though it is a good device still it has certain issues.
- It is not compatible with Apple devices as well as the vehicles with J1850-PWM protocol.
- It is also not much reliable as it can stop working anytime.
- Another drawback of this tool is that it only reads the stats even only from OBDII system.
- It does not suggest possible solutions for your problems.
- So if your car has other types of sensors then you will have to use some other scanning tool to resolve their problems.
- This tool is good only for analysing basic problems of your car containing OBDII system due to its affordable price.
When you are looking for a versatile, affordable scan tool that has plenty of options and features, you may want to consider the Autel AL519. This tool brings plenty of features and technology to your garage, and has a system that allows for easy navigation and access.
While the Autel AL519 has many features and modes, there are a couple of things missing from the tool that may make you hesitate.
It is the most well known and easy to use check device for rapidly diagnosing any motor inconvenience code. It bolsters each of the ten methods of OBDII test for a total analysis and gives live OCM data stream, code tips/repairs and diagram information.
The screen on this sweep apparatus has a determination of 320×240. However, it is clear and straightforward to peruse with energetic hues. This is vital because the readouts show just on the screen, as opposed to likewise sustaining to a joined tablet.
This sweep device is easy, lightweight and moderate, and will work with any ODB II right vehicle. If you work in a carport or you are a lover who needs to have the capacity to take a shot at your auto, then this device is an unquestionable requirement have.
What to consider when buying an OBD2 scanner?
- Does it have adequate definition of code?
- Compatible with my car or not?
- I can upgrade it?
- Whether it can store your data read?
- Scanners have what features?
- Is it within my budget?
- I need a code reader or scanner diagnosis?
- These devices come with the device?
- Other customers say about this code reader?
Types of OBD2 scanners
These are cheaper, simpler devices that are plugged into a vehicle solely for reading and clearing error codes. They don’t provide any additional information, and may not reflect a wider set of codes in use by various manufacturers. An OBD2 scanner meant for GM vehicles, for instance, will read only the basic codes saved to memory and additional codes for GM cars and trucks only. Additional information is usually provided online or via a reference pamphlet that lists the available codes with brief explanations for each one.
Scan tools are more sophisticated and are available in several levels of complexity, from compact consumer versions to powerful diagnostic computers in use by commercial auto shops.
Professional or more advanced versions will include options like review of both live and recorded data, options for manufacturer-specific codes, customizable menus, parameters, tests, and code reads, and extensive technical information on troubleshooting each code. Basically, every vehicle sensor that transmits signals to the onboard computer produces codes that can be read with an OBD2 scanner.
They can also read “soft” codes, or codes that have been detected but not yet logged. Many scanners, for instance, must detect a code on three successive vehicle starts before it’s included in the diagnostics, in order to allow for anomalies like false emissions readings or random computer errors.